AeroGarden Glog >
Mixed Romaine - Updated 06/5/11
Well this doesn't really make a good case for the AeroGarden but after some experimenting I found the most likely problem. Although I wrote about it in my tips section, it turns out I am a victim of not taking my own advice. I thought my water was cool enough but apparently it is in fact too warm.
Here is the timeline...
May 2, 2011
Five days in and all but one had sprouted. The back right Romaine was going the strongest but since I saw a sprout out of the others I had no suspected I was going to run into any problems.
May 12, 2011
But a couple days after that I suspected something was wrong as things had pretty much stalled except the one in the back right. I figured I could not have received two bad Romaine kits. I wanted to add cold water but the plants were not drinking enough to allow me to add it. My only option was to do a partial water exchange and mixing in with cold water from the tap. I did this twice over the next week.
May 17, 2011 (Click this link to see the album and the first harvest)
Well, obviously something was still not quite right (i.e. my water exchange wasn't working). I am sure it didn't help that dumping so much water was also dumping the nutrients that were inserted as well. I wasn't sure that once the plants had stopped growing if they could ever start again. It also didn't help that the one had grown so much it was blocking the light from two of the others. I harvested a couple leaves so the other pods would get light, put it on a sandwich and was amazed at how good the lettuce tasted, almost buttery. After have a taste I decided I couldn't give up. Since the back corner plant was really growing it had started drinking the water down to the point where I didn't have to exchange water... I could simply add ice cold water... So that was the new plan.
May 24, 2011 (Click this link to see the album and the second harvest)
What do you know! Things are starting to move again. The front right pod has moved to the "dead" list as it will not be sprouting but the others are starting to grow again. I do have a problem with the middle back one being blocked from its light but I feel like this is more of a experiment on how to get it right next time... Basically, lesson learned. KEEP YOUR LETTUCE IN A COOL PLACE WITH COOL WATER. Since the lettuce I am getting is so tasty I am going to take what I get for now.
Well, the box arrived with the new 7 pod salad kit, new nutrients and all. It should be noted that they didn't just replace the pods, they sent a brand new, entire salad greens kit that you would get if you ordered it. Still quite impressed on how easy the process was.
So... Last night the water was replaced, new nutrients put in and 6 pods dropped into their new homes. Now let's just hope this set starts growing without a hitch.
Nothing! Absolutely nothing! Six pods, no signs of life after nearly two weeks. The labels says "1-3 Days" to sprout. This doesn't look like a good sign. But all of them? Doesn't that just seem odd? I picked up the phone to call AeroGarden as I have always seen and heard the guarantee...
"We guarantee that your seed kits will germinate. If for any reason they don't, contact us and we'll rush you a new kit (or appropriate seed pods)."
But I never actually had to test it out. I mean, all six didn't sprout. It was probably my fault. I probably filled the tank with poison not water... Who knows. After a couple questions from a very friendly representative and looking up my previous order before I knew it I had an email in my inbox before we completed the phone call that showed my replacement order, no charge, no shipping. Awesome. Bravo AeroGarden.
He seemed to think since I had purchased this seed kit through the Outlet store (which by the way does not exist anymore) it was probably older and thus, most likely the problem. No matter, I was getting a brand new kit shortly so lights out for this unit, drain the poison, I mean, the water from the tank and wait a couple days till the package arrives.
1-4 of 4